Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crow Foot

A crow-foot wrench is an open or adjustable wrench without a handle, which was created to get in tight places like the area beneath Speakeasy's toerail. The name comes from the shape the wrench makes when a shaft is attached to the wrench--it looks like a long skinny leg with a bird's foot.

Crow foot and Speakeasy are getting together because I haven't found a way to tighten the nut on the new starboard stanchion. My last idea was to cut back the length of the bolt that goes through the toerail. This required taking the stanchion off again, bringing it home to do the surgery, and replacing the stanchion. I had hoped this would give me enough room to get a wrench on the nut, but the wrench handles are in the still in way.

SEARS has reduced it's hardware department to a catalog, computer kiosk, back room, and Efran--the clerk. Instead of browsing aisles, one browses a catalog and chooses to pick up at the store. That's where you tell the kiosk what you ordered and Efran goes to the back room to get it. SEARS has wrenches of all kinds and each wrench has a lifetime guarantee. Now, I have 10 crow-foot wrenches to go with my 25-year old sockets that will last longer than I will.

No comments: