Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Radar, Plan B

Revised Schematic for Speakeasy Network
I always had a plan B for my radar installation plan and I've had to implement it. It took some time to find out, but eventually I got the help-desk at Garmin to explain to me that the radome is not a NMEA 2000 device and requires the processor in a Garmin chart plotter in order to function. This is similar to how my Raymarine instruments us the autopilot as a processor. So, I found a compatible chart plotter at a reasonable price at Get Wet Navigation and laid my money down. I was called the next day to clear up a shipping question and received the package in about a week. In addition to having to buy a chart plotter in Plan B, I had got another GPS and NMEA starter kit, which I'd already purchased. I may make some use of the starter kit, but I'm not sure what I'll do with the spare GPS.

No comments: